Monday, November 1, 2010

Chapter Four - The Outer Walk

Two long weeks ago, in Bible study we discussed chapter four of A Place of Quiet Rest.

This chapter presented us with four more reasons why we need to spend time with God. She says "As the Holy Spirit fulfills each of these objectives in our hearts, the result will be seen in the way we live our lives toward God and others."

The first of these reasons is Submission. "As we spend time alone with God, our lives are brought into submission to God and His will." So often we find ourselves in positions we'd rather not be in. This could be anything from singleness, to the place we live, to our jobs/schools, to sickness...it could even be something small like being stuck in traffic or getting annoyed at the people around us. The problem is that God plays a huge role in bringing that situation into our lives. He wants to use that situation to change us. But so often we resist...

As we spend more time with God, He enables us to relinquish control and humbly submit to His plan for our lives.

The second reason for quiet time is Direction. In the Bible, God tells us "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him". (James 1:5). Sometimes life just gets so overwhelming. We're presented with endless options for everything...and it can be so hard to make decisions. But God will give us direction if we ask him. The thing is, we have to get quiet enough, long enough to listen to God.

But how can we hear God? He doesn't exactly speak audibly into our ears...instead, He directs us through His Word, as we read and meditate on it. Nancy Leigh DeMoss says "I often claim the promise of Proverbs 16:3, "Commit they works unto the lord, and they thoughts shall be established". As I am praying regarding a specific decision or issue, I will sometimes symbolically place that concern in my hands, then lift my cupped hands to the Lord and say, "lord, I am committing this matter to You. I am your servant; I want to do what You want me to do. Please establish my thoughts and use Your Word to guide me to a wise decision that will please You".

That is something I am planning on putting into practice in my own life!

The third reason for having quiet time is for Intercession. We need to pray for our friends and families. That should be our first inclination, instead of trying to fix problems on our own and turning to God when we fail.

"O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All beacuse we do not carry
Everything to Go in prayer!
- Joseph M. Scriven

And the final reason she gives us is Transformation. "For as we linger in His presence, we are transformed into His likeness". The more time we spend with people, the more we become lik them. "How important it is, then, that we fix our eyes on the One whose image we wish to bear."

I don't know about you guys, but I want to be like Jesus. I long for his quiet and gentle spirit, and the love he has for others. I think I need to spend some serious time reflecting on him!

So my questions for this chapter...

1. Are there any areas of your life where you are struggling with submission, particularly submission to God?
2. Do you ever consult God before making plans or commitments? If you do, do you wait for an answer?
3. Have you seen any evidence of your transformation in becoming more like God as a result of your quiet time?

2 comments:

  1. This was a long one guys...if you made it to the bottom, Congrats!

    To answer my own questions...
    1. I am struggling in submitting now in terms of waiting to move on to the next phase of my life. I am so excited about what's going to come, it can be so hard to wait! Also, I know that by submitting to my husband I am submitting to God, but its so hard! I always want to do things my way!

    2. I don't usually consult God before making plans, or if I do, I don't wait for an answer. I just assume if I don't get an obvious no, then its a yes. I need to spend more time listening...

    3. God has definitely softened my heart over the past few years. Although I have a long way to go in becoming the woman I want to be, because of Him I am on my way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Mmm I don't know, actually maybe I do. I think I struggle with submitting to God about my relationships. Or specifically, being in a romantic relationship and just waiting for that to happen at the right time instead of feeling anxious about it.

    2. I definitely pray about big plans/committments, but when it comes to the little things, probably not so much. I could be a lot better about waiting for an answer though.

    3. Quiet times make me slower to anger and just so much more cheery about everything. It's like, after I spend time with God, the knowledge of his awesome power and omniscience just keeps me from being able to worry too much about anything and also encourages me to be so much more loving to my friends, because of the dose of concentrated love I get from spending time with him :) I guess this answer is more of an immediate result than a gradual transformation, but I think the not worrying thing has actually developed and improved over time.

    ReplyDelete